Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Stolen Idea...

Today, for a change (insert sarcasm), I found myself in a bookstore. Among the myriad shelves of wonderment, I was there to purchase...um...let's call it "L Variations on Black and White", since I had owned it in ebook form since it was published, but I had always wanted a real copy, and since the movie is coming out shortly and I wanted to buy the original cover before they ruined it with actors on the front.

So there I am, pretending to browse a Chocolate Cooking book while waiting for the other lady in the aisle to leave so I could grab by book and purchase it hurriedly without making eyecontact with the cashier.

Side note: I am not ashamed of reading romances, I will proudly shout it from the rooftops that I am a sucker for a happy ending. But there are limits. I am not ashamed of buying, reading or liking this book, but neither am I ready to shout it from the rooftops. Maybe next year.

The lady in the aisle pulls out her phone. 'Great' I think, 'I'm stuck here while she one finger texts a 200 character message so it's not a waste'. This lady did remind me of my Mum a bit. But she's not texting. She's comparing a book to a list on her phone.

At this point I walked away, because you know, despite all evidence to the contrary, I am not a creeper. But get this...how clever is she? She's got a list of her bookshelf in her phone so she always knows what to buy. A clever idea, but is it really necessary?

Wait. What's this? Out of the corner of my eye I spot one of my favourite things in the world. A book - by one of my favourite authors- ON SALE! It's a Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I've definitely read it before but do I own it? Suddenly the cell-phone list seems like an extremely good idea.

Ultimitely to bring this long walk for a short drink of  water to it's end. I'm making a list of all my books.

Side note, I'm actually a qualified cataloguing librarian. I should really be ashamed of myself for not having done this sooner.
So here is my bookshelf.

My YA bookshelf, note that the Doctor is always watch the Weeping Angel

My romance bookshelf, double layered,
the shelf with the banana is entirely Johanna Lindsey,
and the bottom is big books.

This is going to be a big project, rife with distractions, but it will be really fun as well.

1 comment: